The first step to a career in conservation
Our trainee scheme is an excellent opportunity to spend a year working alongside our estates team, grazing team and volunteers, developing key professional skills to help take that first step to a career in the competitive environmental sector.
Being a Trainee has given me a behind the scenes insight into the important work that goes on at SWT. There’s always something different to doVoluntary Conservation Trainee
Trainee placements require 3 days a week for 12 months, which will be agreed upon from the onset of the trainee role.
In addition to training and working alongside staff, trainees will also receive formal training in first aid and the use of chainsaws or pesticides, as well as internal training courses on topics such as livestock welfare checking and wildlife legislation.
Depending on abilities, experience and career goals there may also be the opportunity to assist other departments of the Trust, such as our Education team. This would be agreed from the onset of the trainee role.
Out-of-pocket travel expenses will be reimbursed, and appropriate protective clothing will be provided along with nationally certified training in relevant subjects.
A trainee might typically gain experience in the following areas:
- Practical habitat and site management on heathland, grassland, woodland & wetland
- Co-organise and lead groups of practical conservation volunteers
- Carry out a number of reactive duties across the estate including tree works, repairs to furniture and infrastructure, path clearance, and other similar duties
- Assist with aspects of grazing, including fencing, moving cattle, and stock checking
- Assist with large annual Trust events
- Provide on-site wardening presence, liaising with local users, and ensuring appropriate public use of site.
How to apply
We take up to two trainees twice a year in April and again in September. We ask applicants to complete an application form detailing previous experience, qualifications and the personal qualities which make you suitable for the position and then interview candidates.